Objective: The main objective of this paper is to analyse the development of retail formats and their impact on the development of food retailing, through empirical testing of the largest food retailers within the timeframe 2009-2014.
Research Design & Methods: This paper shall, in addition to the review of literature on the development of retail formats, focus on the analysis of the Global Power of Retailing report 2011-2016. Statistical material consists of the available data on the ranking of the largest retail companies, viewed by sales volume, in the period from 2009 to 2014, published annually by the consulting firm, Deloitte Touche.
Findings: The research results show the dominant share of food retailers in the total number of retailers in the list of Top 250 retailers. In addition, the results point to a different structure of food retail formats in the period from 2009 to 2014. The position of individual food retailers in the list of the most successful ones changes over time and standard multiple regression results show that this is due to the introduction of new retail formats.
Implications & Recommendations: Continuing innovation in the field of retail formats is very important to food retailers. Decision makers need to pay special attention and focus on increasing the sales volume and better ranking of companies in the list of most successful ones, where one of the factors is the introduction of new retail formats.
Contribution & Value Added: The originality of this work lies in studying some aspects of the FDI inflow into the group of both similar and different countries in terms of economy.
retail formats, food retailing, innovation, ranking of food retailers, internationalisation
Supplementary File(s)Untitled Untitled
- Alexander, N., & Doherty, A.M. (2009). International Retailing. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Alexander, N., & Doherty, A.M. (2010). International retail research: focus, methodology and con-ceptual development. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 38(11/12), 928-942.
- Arndt, J. (1972). Temporal Lags in Comparative Retailing. Journal of Marketing, 36 (October), 40-45.
- Bartels, R. (1981). Criteria for Theory in Retailing. In R. Stampfl & E. Hirschman (eds), Theory in Retailing: Traditional and Non-traditional Source (pp. 1-8). Chicago: American Marketing Association.
- Bronnenberg, B.J., & Ellickson, P.B. (2015). Adolescence and the Path to Maturity in Global Retail. Journal of Economics Perspectives, 29(4), 113-134.
- Brown, J. (2010). Managing the retail format portfolio: An application of modern portfolio theory. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 17(1), 19-28.
- Brown, S. (1987). Institutional Change in Retailing: A Review and Synthesis. European Journal of Marketing, 21(6), 5-36.
- Bucklin, L. (1972). Competition and Evolution in the Distributive Trades. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Carpenter, J., & Moore, M. (2006). Consumer demographics, store attributes, and retail format choice in the US grocery market. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 34(6), 434-452.
- COMPANY PROFILE Wal-Mart Stores, Inc, Retrieved March 5, 2016 from http://eds.a.ebscohost .com.proxy.kobson.nb.rs:2048/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=1&sid=17b24a40-bd14-4882-8a44-49f515b50da9%40sessionmgr4003&hid=4211
- Cundiff, E. (1965). Concepts in Comparative Retailing. Journal of Marketing, 29, 143-162.
- Ä†uzoviÄ‡, S., & IvanoviÄ‡, P. (2010). Inovacije u trgovinskom menadÅ¾mentu. NiÅ¡: Ekonomski fakultet.
- Ä†uzoviÄ‡, S., & Sokolov MladenoviÄ‡, S. (2008). Strategies entry of international retail companies on serbian market. International Conference Commerce in contemporary society: theory and practise, Varna, 10-11 October 2008, 313-324.
- Ä†uzoviÄ‡, S., & Sokolov MladenoviÄ‡, S. (2012). Internacionalizacija kao strategija rasta i razvoja trgovinskih kompanija. U: E. PetroviÄ‡ (ur.) Nauka i svetska ekonomska kriza (str. 345-357), NiÅ¡: Ekonomski fakultet.
- Ä†uzoviÄ‡, S., & Sokolov MladenoviÄ‡, S. (2015). Menadzment internacionalizacije trgovine. NiÅ¡: Eko-nomski fakultet.
- Ä†uzoviÄ‡, S., Sokolov MladenoviÄ‡, S., & Ä†uzoviÄ‡, Ä. (2015). Innovations as a factors food retail devel-opment. International Conference Inovations in Food Retailing (pp. 4-18), Zagreb: Faculty of Economics.
- Dreesman, A. (1968). Patterns of Evolution in Retailing. Journal of Retailing, 44(Spring), 64-81.
- Fox, E.J., Montgomery, A.L., & Lodish, L.M. (2004). Consumer shopping and spending across retail formats. Journal of Business, 77(2), S25-S60.
- Global power of retailing (2011-2016). Retrieved March 2, 2016 from http://www2.deloitte .com/be/en/pages/consumer-business/articles/global-powers-of-retailing.html
- Goldman, A. & Hino, H. (2005). Supermarkets vs traditional retail stores: diagnosing the barriers to supermarketsâ€™ market growth in an ethnic minority community. Journal of Retailing & Con-sumer Services, 12(4), 273-284.
- Hino, H. (2014). Shopping at different food retail formats. European Journal of Marketing, 48(3/4), 674 -698.
- Hollander, S. (1960). The Wheel of Retailing. Journal of Marketing, 24(July), 37-42.
- Holweg, C. & Lienbacher, E. (2010). Social Supermarkets-a New Challenge in Supply Chain Man-agement and Sustainability. Supply Chain Forum An International Journal, 11(4), 50-58.
- Hortacsu, A., & Syverson, C. (2015). The Ongoing Evolution of US Retail: A Format Tug-of-War. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 29(4), 89-112.
- Klein, A. & Schmitz, G. (2016). Main-format dominance in consumersâ€™ FMCG cross-format shop-ping patterns. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 30, 105-115.
- KosaÅ‚a, M. (2015). Innovation Processes as a Stimulant of Internationalisation Process of Firms. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 3(2), 65-84. doi: 10.15678/ EBER.2015.030206
- Lewis, W. (1945). Competition in Retail Trade. Economica, 12(November), 202-234.
- Lovreta, S., KonÄar, J., & PetkoviÄ‡, G. (2013). Kanali marketinga. Beograd: Ekonomski fakultet.
- Martenson, R. (1981). Innovations in Multinational Retailing: IKEA on the Swedish, Swiss, German and Austrian Furniture Markets. Gotehenburg: University of Gothenburg.
- Maruyama, M., Wu, L., & Huang, L. (2016). The modernization of fresh food retailing in China: The role of consumers. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 30, 33-39.
- Miotto, A.P., & Parente, J.G. (2015). Retail evolution model in emerging markets: apparel store formats in Brazil. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 43(3), 242-260.
- Planet Retail. Retrieved March 1, 2016, from http://www.planetretail.net/presentations/Apex BrasilPresentation.pdf
- Reinartz, W., Dellaert, B., Krafft, M., Kumard, V., & Varadarajan, R. (2011). Retailing Innovations in a Globalizing Retail Market Environment. Journal of Retailing, 87(1), 53-66.
- Retailing 2015: New Frontiers 2007 Price Waterhouse Coopers/TNS Retail Forward. Retrieved March 2, 2016, from https://www.pwc.com/cl/es/publicaciones/assets/retailing2015.pdf